View My Stats

Red Lane, Gospel End Village (November 30)

A late afternoon walk, very cold. Saw a pair of bullfinch in trees by the lane pond, which had me thinking as to the last time I saw bullfinches at Red Lane. Without scouring through my daily notes I can't remember - if ever - although I'm sure I have at some point. There are reliable spots the other side of Penn Brook, but this side they are scarce.
Female kestrel in flight and later 2 birds hovering by the ridge within yards of each other. Two sightings of single common buzzard, a soaring/calling bird over the ridge and a perched bird in tree alongside Penn Brook.
A field alongside Red Lane farm had a feeding grey wagtail on it. The field alongside the lane pond had 2 adult and 2 juvenile moorhen feeding.
Other birds included: black headed gull (several in area), chaffinch, starling.