View My Stats

Anglesey adventures - Day 2 (August 3)




In the morning visited the very local Cemlyn Bay nature reserve. There is a steep shingle beach and then beyond that a lagoon with two islands. It's an excellent place and one of my favourite birding spots.
The tern colony had numerous arctic terns and common terns around, both adults and juveniles. I had to search hard for sandwich terns though but I did manage to spot a single bird in amongst the others.
It's been a few years since I've come across little egrets (pictured above) so it was a pleasant surprise to find 3 of them on the lagoon.
Other birds at Cemlyn Bay included oystercatcher (group of c.25 birds on shoreline), curlew (7 birds in rough grass on far side of lagoon), turnstone (5 on beach shoreline), dunlin (numerous birds), ringed plover (several on beach and lagoon), redshank (2 birds on lagoon).
A Clifftop walk later in the day at Bull Bay produced more turnstones (2 birds landed on rocks) and stonechats (male and female) while a similiar walk at Cemaes Bay had me watching a group of 5 rock pipits (adults and juveniles).
Video clip of little egrets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARIxTpg_76k