View My Stats

Whites Wood, Baggeridge Country Park (August 1)



I didn't have long to bird, so while my wife was at her parents I visited the local Whites Wood, which is part of Baggeridge Country Park. Whites Wood is very diverse as far as tree species are concerned and I may as well have focused on the trees, as the birds were pretty scarce. It is a good autumn through spring place to bird but at the height of summer can sometimes be hard going. In all honesty I should have gone elsewhere, but I like the challenge, plus time was limited.

Several swifts were feeding over adjoining fields, as were a couple of house martins. Several juveniles were in the wood including wren, great tit and robin. The wood itself was very quiet and apart from the calling of juvenile birds, the only bird singing was a wren.

So my first entry to the blog doesn't exactly set the world alight. But if nothing else, my blogging will be honest. However at least Twinkle my Bedlington Terrier (pictured above) enjoyed herself. She accompanies me on all my walking birding sessions (as opposed to when I'm birding while fishing). So it's a good time to introduce her to the blog as well, right at the beginning.